Church of Saint Basil, Near the Kremlin, in Moscow. Built by the Zsar. 1810.
Title: Church of Saint Basil, Near the Kremlin, in Moscow. Built by the Zsar Ivan Basilowitz II in 1538.
Artist: Francesco Camporesi (1747 – 1831).
Publisher: T. Cadell and W. Davies, London.
Source: Travels in Various Countries of Europe, Asia and Africa.
Size: Approx. 7 x 10 1/8 inches.
Description: Original early 19th century copper-plate engraved print of the Cathedral of Vasily the Blessed, commonly known as Saint Basil's Cathedral, is a church in the Red Square in Moscow, Russia. The building, now a museum, is officially known as the Cathedral of the Intercession of the Most Holy Theotokos on the Moat or Pokrovsky Cathedr. It was built from 1555–61 on orders from Ivan the Terrible and commemorates the capture of Kazan and Astrakhan. A world-famous landmark, it was the city's tallest building until the completion of the Ivan the Great Bell Tower in 1600.
Light foxing/browning. Some printers marks in the sky. Slight water stains to corners.